Thursday, October 6, 2011
For you gearheads
In the middle is the new kid, a Panasonic Lumix GF3 Micro 4/3 camera. This is a new size, with a much bigger sensor than the Canon and most of it's size advantage. It also takes very good interchangeable lenses from both Panasonic and Olympus, and with an adapter, all of the lenses from the Pentax on the right. I got this so as to have a higher quality camera that was easier to carry in towns and on hikes where there would be harder walking.
On the right is the Pentax K-5 with an 18-135 zoom and my favorite lens, the 35mm f/2.8 This is a great camera, very sharp clear pictures come out of it. It has a small issue with autofocus that has to be watched, but I have gotten used to that and am not fooled often. It was the camera that was to be my main unit due to higher quality and great lenses.
The surprise of the trip was how much I liked the GF3. I only had it a week before we left and was not used to it when we arrived. I went with the 14-42mm kit zoom, the fabulous 20mm and the very useful 14mm. Once I got used the the handling and had it set up the way I like it, it became my main camera. It's very light and the lenses are all good, but the 20mm is a gem and a good 65% of my pictures came out of that combo. Also it takes both jpeg files and RAW, my preference. I had a monopod with me, and with the GF3 on top of it I had a great walking stick and a steady platform for shooting.
I still love the Pentax and its great sensor. I will use it from a tripod or when I want that 35mm focusing close. But the Micro 4/3 format will probably be my everyday gear for the near future. The Canon's great worth was that it was always on my belt, had that big zoom and,for up to 8x10s is a very good camera.
Next year I will only use the smaller cameras. They are so light and at no real loss of quality that I'll save my neck and back.
That's it for cameras, back to the pictures they take.
My other blogs and blogs that I follow
- ► 2017 (88)
- ► 2013 (410)
- Au Revoir Saignon.
- Gary and Cathy, Rue Cilly, Saignon
- Last night in Solveig....sniff
- Obligatory, cliched roof tile shot, Banon
- Our bedroom window, Rose Cottage
- International living, Marseille
- Pork belly on a bed of braised red cabbage with a ...
- Salmon special, Oscar's, Marseille
- Two soupes de poissons
- Evening light in Solveig.
- Pumpkin patch, below Menerbes
- Window, Christine's, Saignon
- One sunset, two views, Saignon
- Robe and shadows, Rose Cottage
- After a long hike. Rose Cottage
- Minotaurette, La Manade, Apt
- Graffiti in levels, Apt
- More graffiti, Apt
- More melons, Apt
- Class trip, Apt
- Pique-nique, Rose Cottage, Saignon...or...Why Fren...
- Around the terrace, Maison Solveig
- Curried chicken, walnut and apple salade, Maison S...
- A taste of Provence, Solveig, Saignon
- Chicken wings, Apt Market
- Flowers, Apt market
- Peppers and onions, Isle sur la Sorgue
- Window display, Isle sur la Sorgue
- Hat Store, Isle sur la Sorgue
- Mannequins, Apt
- Plaque, Isle sur la Sorgue
- Statue, Isle sur la Sorgue
- Savon d'Alep
- Brocantes for sale, Isle sur la Sorgue
- Assiette de Provence, Christine's, Saignon
- Rose hips and an imposter.
- I'm back. Graffiti, Apt
- Paella, Apt
- Allee, Apt
- Betty Boop thermometers, Apt
- Tablecloth, Apt
- Dresses, Apt
- New Holland fork lift, Apt
- Schoolkids, Apt
- La Bartavelle, Apt
- Gravlax with pesto, La Bartavelle, Apt
- Posters, Apt
- Graffiti, Apt
- First grapes!!!
- Lineman, Aix
- Pavillon de Vendome, Aix
- In the garden of the Pavillon Vendome, Aix
- Mother and children.
- Linen vendor, Aix
- Street musician, Aix
- Fennel bulbs, Aix market
- Obligatory cut melon picture, 2011 version.
- Creative turmericery, Aix market
- Store window, Aix
- Isabel and Felix's window, Aix
- Isabel's second window, Aix
- The office of the mayor, Aix
- Aix by night
- Bureau de Poste, Aix
- Detail, Bureau de Poste, Aix
- Cafe discussion, Aix
- Local character's scooter
- Georgetown Visitation mini-reunion, Aix
- Three sided square, Aix
- Bubbly fountain
- Cafe, Aix
- Dolphin Fountain, Aix
- Store window, Aix
- Square, Aix-en-Provence
- Small lift, St. Saturnin
- Daisies, wire and shutter, Goult
- Artist 1, Goult
- Artist 2, Goult
- Hat and flowers, Goult
- Janie in doorway, Goult
- Doorway, Goult
- Trellis and car
- Tile on wall, Apt
- Graffiti, Apt (for Martina)
- Remains, Apt
- Arch, Apt
- From above in Saignon
- The Gargas ochre mines.
- Entrance to the Ochre mines, Gargas
- Leaving the mine, Gargas
- For you gearheads
- Do not fall sign.
- Upper church, Oppede le Vieux
- Mid-morning coffee, Oppede le Vieux
- Overlook, Oppede le Vieux
- Future picnic, Saignon
- Manhole cover, Saignon
- Wedding, Saignon
- Dessert, Christine's, Saignon
- The Saignon dilemma.
- ▼ October (128)