Thursday, April 16, 2020

Japanese maple trunk, garden, Roscoe

In Florida, if you have bark, you will have some sort of lichen. My Japanese maple is sort of an interesting story. I bought a beautiful red-leafed Japanese at a nursery. Put it in a big pot and watered and fed it. A year later there was a new branch starting, below the graft. Maples are often grafted onto sturdier varieties to ensure good health. So, I cut off the shoot, and stuck it in another container, not expecting anything but a dead stick a month later. Well, it leafed out and grew like a weed. After a year of upgrading pots, I put it in the ground, where it continued to thrive, to this day. It must be 20ft/6meters tall and is very graceful and the centerpiece of my little asian patch, which includes a ginkgo tree and a bottlebrush tree. The original red leafed tree is very happy in another part of the garden.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive